SEGD's technology and innovation event—Xlab 2013: Experience + Interaction in Public Space—will explore these questions and more October 24, 2013, at the Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria, Queens.
SEGD, the multidisciplinary community of people who design and create visual communications in the built environment, launched Xlab in 2011 to explore and help define the connection between design, digital technology, and the built environment. Xlab 2013
focuses on the evolving nature of interaction in public spaces and how design and technology can be used to reconnect and reengage us with the physical environment. Xlab 2013 participants will investigate:
- The innovative experiences and platforms being used to challenge "device blindness" and invite people to be more aware of their physical environments and each other
- How the design of cities and public spaces is responding to our information-saturated, data-driven culture
- How voice interactivity and other responsive digital agents are helping make cities and their public gathering spaces more inviting and accessible
- How public art installations and environmental graphics are using interaction to strengthen connections between people and place
- What it takes to transform a design practice that has worked primarily in static information and experience design into one that creates more performative and responsive spaces
Clive Roux, CEO of SEGD, says it is an exciting time to explore the connection between digital technology and the built environment.
"Remember when we were all wondering what we would do with the ability to connect to the Internet via our mobile phones? It was not that long ago, but now we can't do without it. The built environment is just entering that stage of finding the applications that make the most sense for people. Xlab is our platform for exploring the cutting edge of this interaction between people and place."
This year, the Museum of the Modern Image—which recently completed a stunning renovation designed by architect Thomas Leeser—provides an inspiring space to "pose new, provocative questions about how we can use technology in our work creating experiences," says Leslie Wolke (Leslie Wolke Consulting), Xlab Founding Chair. Her 2013 Co-Chair is Bryan Meszaros of digital media consultancy OpenEye. For more information or to register, visit the SEGD website at www.segd.org.
Xlab 2013 is sponsored by Daktronics (Presenting Sponsor) and Electrosonic.