Nine maintenance workers were recently stranded on top of an LED billboard when it caught fire. The incident, which left workers trapped atop the sign as it was engulfed in flames, took place along a the Federal Highway in Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia.
The cause of the fire is believed to be a short circuit at the base of the electronic billboard, which quickly spread to the top where the workers were.

“We were stuck on top of the billboard when the fire broke out. I thought I would not survive. There was smoke everywhere,” one of the workers told The Star. “Luckily, the wind blew the smoke away from us, and that gave us a chance to climb down.”

Firefighters arrived on the scene and assisted all maintenance workers down from the sign. The victims were sent to University Malaya Medical Centre for treatment; one suffered arm injuries while the others had minor burns on their hands and feet. A total of 17 firefighters were deployed to the scene, The Star reports.

Aside from the short circuit, the workers were accused of ignoring some safety protocols. The board was not even turned off during maintenance, according to Sixteen Nine.
Watch the video above to see the fire climb the massive sign.